Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, July 21

Sami’s Blog Post

Yo. So today we visited the same migrant came for a second time. Moment we stepped out of the bus kids were jumping on us. I found some kids in the tall grass and decided to participate in ‘grasshopper’ catching. That was fun till the grasshoppers started pooping in my hands, so me and a couple girls who had latched on to me went and made trails and messed around etc.

Today was especially cool for me because yesterday I had met a 9 year old girl, named Esther, who was, to put it bluntly, super mean. Well, that’s not the cool part. What’s COOL is the girl found me again today and after talking and hanging out after a while, became a lot nicer. I enjoyed her niceness the most when I ran into stinging nettles and she found a fern and rubbed it on my leg for me. It doesn’t sting anymore (:  I felt God moving when I saw her emotional barrier go down and allowed me in. How amazing Jesus is.

Leaders:  2  Students: 10

Today Abbey and I volunteered to give a Bible lesson for the children about God’s love. That went pretty well considering the fact that all the kids at like 3 years and younger only spoke Spanish. Which is another neato thing, today forced me to remember my two years of Spanish. I’m thankful for it because a little 3 year old named April clung to me the whole time during which I was trying my hardest to communicate to her through Spanish. Okay so yes, the two years of brutal homework paid off.

Helping at the camps puts everything in perspective for me, and it makes me very grateful. Playing in dirt and bathrooms without TP are the usual for them, and they wear smiles on their faces everyday.

The church we’re staying at, Crossroads, was having worship practice and invited all the youth(and Seth… of course) to go sing or do whatever on stage. It was like Hillsong on steroids… or the local church choir… okay so a mix of both. It was pretty gnarly.
This church also owns a café, yes… coffee 30 seconds away has made this trip quite heavenly. Tonight they have open mic night, and the youth… and Seth… are going to go up any second now to do ‘Appy Day reggae version. Who doesn’t love worships songs with Jamaican accents?

God has been so good. Through the ups and downs, He is victorious. Wooh! There’s been lots of bonding, snuggling, laughing and whatnot. We’re having a great time. Well, this concludes Sami’s blog, I’m gonna go buy a coffee. Much love. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment